What is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy?
- CBT is a therapeutic approach that helps one understand the thoughts, feelings and emotions that influence behavior. It is focused on dealing with specific problems in the present. During the course of treatment, one learns how to identify and change negative thought patterns and behaviors. CBT utilizes practical self-help strategies designed to bring about positive changes in one’s quality of life.
What is Social Cognitive therapy?
- SCT is a behavioral approach that utilizes CBT to teach core Social Thinking concepts. SCT maps out the way in which our thoughts, feelings, emotion and actions all affect each other. It helps one identify the target triggers & strategies for dealing with a variety of emotions and behaviors in social situations. SCT teaches both “theory of mind” and “perspective taking” strategies ( others have thoughts, feelings, emotions , drives & interests that are different than ours), It helps one understand the negative thoughts and feelings that affects behaviors and teaches one to create positive thought patterns and behaviors . Therefore it enhances one’s social functioning.
The Social Shack Offers:
- Social Skills Groups
- 1:1 Coaching
- Dyads- Both at the Social-Shack and in your home (taking turns in the
Natural Environment in each other’s homes)
What is Social Thinking®?
- “Social Thinking® is what we do when we interact with people: We think about them. How we think about people effects how we behave. In turn, that affects how others respond to us which then effects our own emotions.” Michele Garcia Winner, Founder
Who are these groups for?
- Children, teens, tweens and young adults with social cognitive deficits who have language and self-awareness.
- People with a social interest but lack the “social tools “necessary to initiate and/or sustain a friendship.
- Those who are just simply socially awkward.
- Those with: Asperger’s Syndrome, Moderate-to-High Functioning Autism, PDD-NOS,
Non-Verbal Learning Disabilities, ADD/ADHD, Social Anxiety, and Head Injuries
What are the ages of these groups?
- The Superflex Group: Ages 6-8
- The Social Detective Group: Ages 9-11
- The Mindset Group: Ages 12-14
- Teens and Tweens Club: Ages 14-18
All Groups Feature:
- Becoming a “Social Detective
- Creating a “Social Thinking®” Toolbox
- Social-Behavior Mapping
- Self-Regulation Monitoring Techniques
- Relaxation Techniques
- Identifying the “hidden” social rules
- Enhancing Social -Perspective Taking
- Developing a Theory of Mind
- Improving Flexibility
- Working effectively and sharing space effectively with others.
Introducing Two New Groups:
- FRIDAY NIGHT TEENS & TWEENS CLUB
TASTY TUESDAYS (14y.o-18y.o)
Club is a fun-filled group of kids. You-Tube , short movie clips and Wii Sports games are utilized to teach problem solving and “Social Thinking®” Concepts
A one-time monthly teens and tweens club. It’s a teens and tweens (14y.o-18y.o) “ Go-Out-To Dinner Club”. The group visits a variety of different restaurants . The focus of the group is to “rate’s the server” . The group will observe the Server’s Social Thinking /Social Skills and rate them on the “server – scale” provided. In addition they will practice their “Expected” Restaurant Behavior which includes: Keeping your body in the group, thinking with your eyes, remaining on “the topic” , perspective taking and manners. The Social-Shack Club members will complete a “Restaurant –Me-Map” as well. The ultimate goal is to behave in a manner in which we cause other’s to have “good-thoughts” of us!
Each month a new restaurant is selected. A pre-fixed menu with 3-4 choices , including all dietary restrictions ,will be offered.
Lori Coda, along with her intern will facilitate all Tasty Tuesday Groups.
The Tasty Tuesday club will take place one time monthly only
The first Tasty Tuesday Club night is: Tuesday January 21st 6:30-7:30 pm. Call for availibility.
Restaurant Location: TBA
***Restaurant Recommendations are Welcome***!
To sign up please email Lori Coda : email@example.com
Or Call: (203) 414-0834
What are the fees?:
- Individual 1:1 Coaching: $125 per hour
- Dyad Coaching: $75 each, $150 Total per hour
- Groups: $ 300 for 4 sessions
- Tasty Tuesdays: $65
How do I sign up?:
- Every Social-Shack member must have an initial “Meet and Greet “evaluation done by Lori Coda before he/she is placed in the group. Lori follows the
ILAUGH model created by Michele Garcia Winner (www.socialthinking.com) to place each member.
- Please contact Lori Coda to set up your initial (free) ½ evaluation.